Today I abandon the Tuscan-Emilian tradition to venture into the making of soy tofu , the traditional Japanese vegetable cheese. The recipe that I bring you is tested and very simple to make . The savings in making tofu at home are enormous and the flavor also gains considerably. This recipe is adaptable to all raw legumes, so you can also make tofu from chickpeas, beans or lupins , but I recommend starting with soy, because it’s easier.
- 100 grams yellow soy
- 1 liter of water
- 2 grams Nigiri (magnesium chloride)
- flavors to taste
- Soak the soy in cold water for at least 24 hours.The next day, throw away the soaking water, take the soy and dip it in 1/2 liter of cold water and blend it until you get a smooth pulp, in the meantime do boil another 1/2 liter of water.
- Pour the mash into the boiling water, pay attention to the foam that forms and let it simmer for 1 minute. Strain all the contents of the pan with a cloth and place the milk thus obtained to boil slowly for 10 minutes. The peels left in the cloth, in Japanese Okara, do not throw them away, they can be used to make meatballs, pasta and other things.
- Melt 2 gr. of magnesium chloride, can be found in the pharmacy, in a glass of cold water, this is the rennet, wait for the milk to cool to about 80 ° C, then pour it into the milk repeating the operation three times, each time mixing with a ladle and leaving it still for about ten seconds.
- At this point tofu flakes will form, filter the contents of the pot again with a cloth and squeeze very well, place a weight on the hot tofu for about 30 min, this step will be used to get all the whey out of the cheese, before put the weight you can sprinkle the pasta with herbs and spices to your liking.