Sourdough Bread is called so because it has a more sour taste as compared to the bread which is prepared by baker’s yeast. For preparation or making of sourdough bread, we use lactobacilli and yeast. Lactobacilli produce lactic acid which the main cause of sour taste of the bread.
The list of required ingredients is given below:
- 35oz/150g bubbly, active starter(
- 80oz/250g warm water, preferably filtered
- 90 oz/25g olive oil
- 65 oz/500g bread flour
- 35 oz/10g fine sea salt
- Fine ground cornmeal, for dusting
Method of Preparation:
- Making of dough: Take a large bowl and whisk the starter, water, and olive oil together. Add salt and the flour in it. Mix all the ingredients together with hands and squish until flour is absorbed. Let set it for 30 minutes.
- When the dough has set, play with it just for 15 sec and make a rough ball.
- Bulk fermentation: For fermentation leave this dough with the covering of plastic wrap and clean kitchen towel. Let it sit at high temperatures like in a warm, sunny area. Check dough if its volume is increased by 1 and1/2 to 2 times its original volume then your dough will be ready. Its transport temperature depending upon the ingredients which you use for it. You have to leave your dough for setting like if you prepared in the afternoon you have to leave it overnight then you would get a better dough.
- Stretching and folding of dough: This step is not mandatory but this will increase the volume of your bread. For doing this simply gather a portion of the dough, stretch it upwards then pull or fold it over itself. By turning the bowl by ¼ turn complete a circle. Repeat this process with space of one hour.
- Cutting and giving shape: Divide your workplace into two halves one part for cutting the dough and the others for shaping.
- Take off dough from bowl and place onto the floured section and spread it and shape it.
- The cutting depends upon the size of your loaves. Cut the dough unto two for making 2 loves or use whole for a single loaf.
- Move the dough to the non-floured part of the workplace. Start folding from top of the dough towards the center. By giving a slight turn, fold over the section of dough. Complete a circle by continuing the folding procedure. Then flip the dough over. By helping your hands raising the sides of the dough and rotate it, using a quarter turn in a circular motion. Pull towards you or away for evenly maintaining the shape. When you are satisfied by its shape to leave it.
- Second rise: Use a 6-quart Dutch oven for baking, use cornmeal for covering the bottom of the Dutch oven. By using a serrated knife make a 2inch shallow slash in the center of the dough.
- Preparing the oven: Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Put the bread in the oven for baking when you cover the lid bake at 400 F for 20 minutes. Then remove the lid and bake for the next 40 minutes until the bread turns brown. Make temperature adjustment according to the oven.
- Meanwhile, the last 10 minutes of baking crack open the door so that moisture will be removed moisture and leave behind a crispy crust of bread.
- Check the internal temperature of bread for sourdough it should be 205 F.
- Cooling: Remove the bread from oven and cool before slicing almost for 1 hour. Don’t cut early when there is gummy nature inside the bread.
- Your sourdough bread is ready.
100g of sourdough bread provides you 289 cal along with 1.8 g total fat including 0.5 g saturated fat, 0.8 g polyunsaturated fat, 0.3 g monounsaturated fat. 0 mg of cholesterol, 513 mg of sodium, 128 mg of potassium. 56 g of total carbs including 2.4 g Dietary fiber, 2.6 g sugar and 12 g of protein.
In this article, you came to know about the method of preparation of sourdough bread. We use lactobacilli and yeast starter culture for its production. Stretching and folding by hand increases the volume of the bread. By this culture and method, you will get the bread of better taste.