SAVORY PANCAKES WITH WILD FENNEL AND CHARD (CATTAS DE FINUCRU AND BEDA)
Typical salty pancakes originating from Barbagia (Nuoro), called: cattas, cathas o ‘athas. Their ingredients are very simple: fennel and chard (in Sardinian fennel: finucru, anis, ‘inucru,’ inulhu and bieta: beda, see, ‘eda,’ eta). Fennel and chard fritters are excellent as an appetizer or side dish.
- 1 bunch of wild fennel
- 1 bunch small and tender wild beets (or organic)
- 3 organic eggs
- 3 or 4 tablespoons of organic flour
- 1 or 2 tablespoons plain water
- to taste whole sea salt
- Clean and peel the vegetables, remove the hard parts and chop finely.
- Add the other ingredients: whole eggs, flour, water and 1 generous pinch of salt. Mix well.
- Fry in plenty of hot but not steaming olive oil, spoonful of the mixture.
- Turn the pancakes on both sides, just golden remove them from the pan with the spatula and place them on a bowl covered with absorbent paper, salt lightly.
- Serve immediately, otherwise they lose their crunchiness. They are also good cold though!