Recipe for Sheer khurma | Sheer khurma recipe
Recipe for Sheer khurma
Introduction to Sheer khurma recipe
Sheer khurma recipe is a sweet dessert dish that is mostly prepared and served on the Muslim religious festivals such as Eid-ul-Fitr and Eid-ul-Azha in the regions of Pakistan, Afghanistan, Indian subcontinent and some parts of central Asia. This recipe is famous in Persian, sheer khurma means the “milk with dates”. It is also a traditional Muslim breakfast.
It is usually made with various dry fruits, vermicelli, thickened milk, and sugar, etc. these may be the main ingredients but depending on the region some other important ingredients are also added e.g cardamoms, pistachios, almonds, saffron, cloves, raisins, and rose water. The main region of origin recipe for Sheer khurma was central Asia e.g the Muslim countries. It is a special dish that is served either as a breakfast or a serving dish to the guest on the whole day of EID. On Eid, the recipe for Sheer khurma usually serves after the Eid prayer. We can serve Sheer khurma warm or cool but chilling one is lovely to taste. In this article, the discussion will be about the recipe along with its nutritional value.
Recipe for Sheer khurma
The total time for the recipe for Sheer khurma is 35 minutes that includes the 10 minutes of preparation and 25 minutes of cooking.
Serving size of Recipe
The serving size for this recipe for sheer khurma is about 12 servings. You can also increase or decrease the serving size by managing the ingredients according to your requirement and need.
Ingredients the Recipe for Sheer khurma
The main ingredients recipe for Sheer khurma include vermicelli, milk, dates, cashew nuts, cardamom, and butter. The other ingredients and the main ingredients along with their accurate quantities are :
- 4 tablespoons of ghee
- 15 to 20 cashews in chopped or crushed form
- 12 to 15 almonds either in crushed or sliced form
- 12 to 15 pistachios either in sliced or crushed form
- 10 to 15 golden raisins
- 6 to 7 large dates in chopped or sliced form
- 2 cups of broken vermicelli
- ¾ cup of grated khoya ( it is an optional addition that depends on your choice)
- 2 liters of whole milk
- 8 to 9 tablespoons of sugar or you can add the sugar according to your requirement and taste
- 2 teaspoons of rose water
- 1 teaspoon of cardamom powder
Directions for the procedure of Recipe
The instructions for the manufacturing of sheer khurma are given below with extra tips and step by step guides:
1) Take a pan and wash it. After washing, let it will dry and then place it over the stove and turn on the flame at a medium level beneath it. Put the ghee in the pan. Once it is hot, add the chopped dates, pistachios, almonds, cashews and raisins in the ghee.
2) Cook the nuts until they are turned golden brown and are fragrant. So, The raisins will be plumped up. Remove the nuts and the raisins from the pan and keep them on aside.
3) Then, in the same pan add the Seviyan or vermicelli and mix with the ghee.
4) Cook the Seviyan in the ghee for about 3 to 4 minutes until they start to be golden brown. After that add the khoya into the vermicelli and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes.
Some other important steps to make the recipe
5) Now add the milk into the pan and stir. Increase the flame to the high level and then bring the milk to a boil. Stir continuously so that the vermicelli not stuck to the bottom.
6) After the boiling of milk, lower the flame to medium and then cook it for about 8 to 10 minutes.
7) After about 10 minutes, the milk will be thick and reduce. Now add the sugar. Mix and stir.
8) Then, Transfer the fried nuts to the pan that you have kept on a side and mix.
9) Along with the nuts add the cardamom powder and the rose water into the pan and mix.
10) Cook the whole mixture for about 2 to 5 minutes on the medium flame and then switch off the flame.
11) Delicious sheer khurma is ready that you can serve either warmed or chilled according to your desire.
Nutritional value of Recipe for Sheer khurma
The recipe for sheer khurma is about 100 g of the sheer khurma gives you about 208 kcal of energy along with the 5.85 g fat, 36.65 g carbohydrates and 4.2 g of proteins.