Recipe for girts and shrimps
Recipe for girts and shrimps
Girts and shrimp is originated from Lowcountry of coastal South Carolina and Georgia. Girts can also be served with fried catfish or salmon croquettes. It can be served as a breakfast dish or also as lunch.
The total time required for this recipe is 45 minutes. 15 minutes are required for its preparation and 30 minutes for cooking.
This recipe yields about 4 to 6 servings. So, you can increase or decrease no of servings by changing quantities of required ingredients.
The required ingredients for this recipe along with their measured values are given below:
For the girts:
- 4 cups of water
- 1 and ½ cups of corn girts, preferably use stone-ground
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
For the shrimp:
- 1 pound raw, large, shell-on shrimp
- 4 ounces Andouille sausage, sliced into half-moons
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into dice
- 4 medium scallions, thinly sliced, dark green parts used for garnishing
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- And 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon creole seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
Step by step instructions are:
- Take a saucepan for hating and soaking of grits. Pour water into a saucepan add girts and bay leaves in. Add salt in it. When the mixture is started to boil, remove it from heat, cover and let it sit for 10 minutes. During all this procedure, clean the shrimp.
- For cleaning the shrimps take kitchen shears, by inserting the tip of a pair of kitchen shears between the shrimps and the top of its shell, cutting the shell down the length of the shrimp. When you see tail then stop cutting. Peel back the shell from either side and discard. Pinch the tail and carefully pull. Try your best to pull the shrimp cleanly out of the tail. Carefully and gently run your paring knife along the back of the shrimp. For removing vein use paring knife, gently pick the vein with the help of pairing knife, starting pulling from the top and continuing doing so to the bottom and thus remove the vein.
- Now after cleaning the shrimp, time is to boil the girts. Boil the uncovered girts for 20 to 25 minutes. Continuously stirring to save the girts from clumping or burning, because during boiling girts are going to expand. When the girts cook, they started to prepare the shrimp mixture in another pan.
- So, now the time is to cook sausages with tomato mixture, take a large skillet, heat the oil in it over medium-high heat. Then add sausage, and cook until browned. The next step is to add vegetables, add bell pepper, scallions and garlic in it and cook until all vegetables are going to soft almost for 2 minutes. Now time is to add the tomatoes and their juice, dried oregano, creole seasoning, and salt. Cook for 6 minutes until the sausage and tomatoes mixture become thick and bring to simmer. You can also keep heating the sausage at low heat until the grits are ready.
- Then, check the girts when all water-soaked by the girts. Then remove girts from heat and remove bay leaves from it. Next, add butter and cheese in girts and stir until melted and mixed.
- When you observe that the girts are ready then add shrimps in tomatoes and sausage mixture and cook over medium heat. Stir continuously while cooking so that the shrimps mix well with the sausage.
- So, now the time is to server girts and shrimps together. Serve the girts in bowls and topping them with generous spoon full shrimps and tomatoes mixture. You can use scallion greens for garnishing and serve as warm.
Per serving of this dish provides you 389 cal along with 18 g of fat, 8.7 g of saturated fat, 36,4 g of carbs, 3.7 g of fiber, 2.6 g of sugar, 19.8 g of protein and 934.5 mg of sodium.
In the light of the above discussion, you came to know about the recipe of traditional dish girts and shrimps. Try this recipe you will definitely enjoy it.