Recipe for Carrot cake
Recipe for Carrot cake
Carrot cake is usually a type of layer cake or sheet cake in which the carrots mix into the batter mixture. The most modern form of the carrot cake is a type of white cream cheese frosting. The origin of the carrot cake is disputed. So, there are many perceptions about its origin. Basically, some food historians say that the carrot cake has been originated from the carrot puddings eaten by Europeans. So, it believes it is the product of the middle ages. Its place of origin is not clear it may be either England, France or Switzerland. Therefore, carrot cake is usually the moist and fluffy type of cake that gives you a sweet and marvelous taste plus good health. So, In this article, the discussion will be about the recipe of carrot cake along with its nutritional value.
For the carrot cake:
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups of light brown sugar, packed
- 1 ½ cup of canola oil
- 6 tablespoons of non-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- About 250 grams of unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- and 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of ground ginger
- 3 cups of tightly packed shredded carrots
- ¾ cup of raisins
- ½ cup of walnuts, in the toasted and chopped form
For the cream cheese frosting:
- About 560 grams of cream cheese that have been left for about 4 hours at room temperature
- 1 cup of unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 2/3 cups of the confectioner’s sugar
For the garnishing carrot strips:
- 1 large carrot
- and 1 ½ cup of granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cup of water
Directions for the procedure:
For the carrot cake:
1) Place the rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven up to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a cake pan.
2) So, with the help of an electric mixer having the whip attached beat the eggs and the sugar together in a bowl on medium speed. For about 3-4 minutes.
3) Now in another small bowl, whisk the butter, oil and vanilla extract together. Pour down the oil mixture into the egg-sugar mixture at low speed. It will take about 30 seconds.
4) In another bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and baking powder.
5) So, with the help of rubber spatula, pour the flour mixture into the egg-sugar mixture.
6) When all of the flour has been mixed properly into the egg mixture, add the raisins, carrots, and walnuts and keep mixing until the batter attains the homogeneous form.
7) Then, pour the batter into the already prepared cake pan.
8) Bake the cake batter for about 1 hour and 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Then, leave it to cool completely at the wire rack.
For cream cheese frosting:
1) During the time when the cake is being baked, beat the cream cheese with the help of an electric mixer with the paddle attached for about 1 minute. If the cream cheese is in a frozen form, Then you can soften it in the microwave oven on medium power for about 30 seconds.
2) Then, add the butter into the cream cheese and beat more for about 1 minute. After scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl, now add the confectioner’s sugar. Beat it for 1 minute more or more.
3) Cover the prepared frosting and refrigerate for about 2-3 hours before using so that it is properly firmed up.
For carrot strips:
1) Take the water and the granulated sugar into a saucepan and boil it with stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Now, add the carrot strips into the sugary solution and boil for 10 sec after that leave it to be cool.
2) Then, remove the cake from the pan and cut it into two layers. Place the bottom layer on a plate and cover it with half of the frosting cream and spread it to the edges with the help of the spatula.
3) Then, place the top layer on the bottom layer and press lightly to adhere. Take about 1 cup of the frosting cream and spread it on the up-side of the top layer and also spread down to the edges finely.
4) Spread the remaining of the cream on the top and then garnish the cake with the cooled sweet strips.
5) Serve the cake chilled but little more than the room temperature.
This carrot cake has a serving size of about 16 servings.
The energy budget of the carrot cake per 100 grams is about 408 kcal with 32% of fat, 20 % cholesterol, 18 % of carbohydrates and many other vitamins such as vitamins A, C, and D along with minerals as calcium, iron, and potassium.