Piña Colada: 5 variations to try
Piña Colada: 5 variations to try
The Piña Colada is one of the most popular cocktails. there are numerous variations that revisit the original recipe based on pineapple, coconut and rum.
Omnipresent in the menu of drinks to choose from, from the moment of the aperitif to the after dinner, the Piña Colada is a timeless cocktail, it has gone through an era without ceasing to attract thanks to its extreme sweetness. Originally from the Caribbean, this long drink – which literally means pressed pineapple in Spanish – appears for the first time on the counters of the hottest clubs in 1950s New York. It will take about ten years to make the Piña Colada the Puerto Rican national drink , prepared with pineapple, coconut and rum .
The origin so dating back and hardly attributable to the name of a creator has made the Piña Colada a highly transversal and spurious drink both in terms of doses and in terms of the type of ingredients used. If, on the one hand, pineapple can be used in the form of juice, extract or fresh slices, on the other hand, coconut can be in flakes, cream or milk. As for the addition of sugar, even in this case, maximum freedom: if you love particularly sweet flavors, do not hesitate to add brown sugar, but if not, consider that pineapple and coconut already contribute to making the cocktail rather drinkable. .
It goes without saying that the variants that can be made starting from the classic recipe of the Piña Colada can satisfy a wide range of tastes and preferences: from the non-alcoholic versions to the frothy ones in the form of frozen , passing through the choice of other types of fruit or different alcoholic.
- Virgin Colada: non-alcoholic version . To meet all those who do not like alcoholic drinks or who simply fall into the category of abstainers, here is the non-alcoholic – but no less satisfying – version of the classic Piña Colada recipe. Virgin Colada is prepared with only two ingredients: coconut milk and pineapple juice, to which you can add a vanilla pod for an extra aromatic touch. Alternatively, for an even healthier (and less sugary) version you can replace the pineapple juice with fresh, organic extract. If, on the other hand, you can’t resist the well-known sweets, the advice is to sweeten the coconut milk in order to create a sort of cream.
- Banana Colada . One of the most appreciated and prepared variants because it is not far from the original degree of sweetness of the original Piña Colada. In this case, the pineapple juice is replaced by the chopped banana, to which coconut milk and white rum are added. Shake everything until the desired level of creaminess is obtained and serve your Banana Colada cold, completing with a sprinkling of coconut flakes on the surface.
- Raspberry Colada . Chromatic notes tending to dark purple and a sweetness that leaves a pleasant pungent aftertaste: the Raspberry Piña Colada is an original and particularly scenic variant to serve. To prepare it you will need fresh raspberries – which you will use both whole and in the form of juice – the inevitable pineapple, white rum, coconut milk and some ice cubes. Just blend all the ingredients, keeping a few raspberries aside for garnish.
- Tequila Colada . Detractors of rum might love this version that it adopts as a substitute for quality tequila. Add the pineapple juice, the coconut cream – for an even tastier and sweeter result – and shake everything until you have obtained a homogeneous and creamy consistency at the right point. You just have to add some ice cubes and garnish with nice slices of fresh pineapple.
- Frozen Piña Colada . Halfway between a cocktail and a smoothie, the Frozen Piña Colada is characterized by a particularly frothy and attractive texture. The secret lies in replacing coconut syrup with traditional milk, to which you add a drop of liquid cream to make everything even more delicious. First, let the pineapple rest in the freezer for about 30 minutes, then take it out and blend it still frozen together with the rum, syrup and ice. Finally, add the liquid cream and serve immediately, completing with a few leaves of fresh mint to further enhance the notes of freshness.