Pastrami is a meat product. It’s the Romanian cuisine made from beef brisket, and sometimes from lamb or turkey. In this method, we give the best treatment to meat in which we have to desalinate the meat, season with herbs and spices. Then smoked and steamed. It is a method of meat preservation. The beef plate is the traditional cut of meat for making pastrami. So, now it is made from beef brisket, beef round, and turkey.
The total time required for this recipe is 1day and 8 hours. 1 day requires preparation and 8 hours for cooking.
This recipe would yield 6 servings. You can increase or decrease the number of servings by changing quantities respectively.
The name of the required ingredients along with their measured values are given below:
- 25 Ib corned beef or beef or beef brisket
- Dry rub
- 4 tbsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
Method for making Pastrami:
Step by step instructions for preparation and steaming for Pastrami are given below:
- So, remove corned beef out of its packaging and wash thoroughly with cold water. Take a large stockpot and place corned beef in it and cover it with cold water. Then, place it in refrigerator whole night almost for 8 hours so that the excess salt will remove from it. So, this is the desalinating method. The main reason for use of corned bread just its flavor, you can use beef brisket of the same weight and go straight to dry rub.
- So, now take a bowl to mix all the spices or dry rubs like black pepper, ground mustard, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder. The next step is to wash the desalinated corned beef or fresh brisket and let the excess water drip off. Then apply the spices or dry rub to each side of meat. Place it on a platter and refrigerate for 8 hours. So, this process of marination will increase flavor. Refrigerate as it is, there is no need for plastic wrapping. If you use plastic wrap then it will waste most dry rub sticks. Air cured or air-dried overnight or you can go straight to smoke. The method of air cures will add more flavor.
- Then, Take or use a The Masterbuilt 30” Digital smoker or any other smoker and follow your smoker instructions. Pour an inch of water into water tray and using cherry wood chips, allow the brisket to stay on smoke approximately for 6 hours at 225 0 Internal temperature of meat should be reaching up to 180 0 F until meat tender.
- Then, allow it to cool and refrigerate overnight, 0r at least 8 hours with the covering of loosely fitted aluminum foil if not steaming right away. Otherwise, take directly to the steamer.
- So, if you refrigerated meat, remove from refrigerator and wait until it comes to room temperature, then steam for 2 hours. I use a bamboo steamer for steaming the meat with aluminum foil resting on it. So, ake a large pot over medium-low heat and add water into it up to that there is an inch gap between water and steamer rack and allow it to steam meat for 2 hours. Then, ensure that water does not evaporate and refill water as needed. So, now, turn off the heat and remove the meat from the steamer rack as the internal temperature reaches 204 0 because the meat will continue to cooking after removing from heat.
- Then, discard any free fat use sharp knife to make slices across the grain into about 1/8 and serve.
You can use vegetable seamer if you do not have a bamboo steamer.
Per serving of Pastrami provides you 518 cal along with 4 g of carbs, 67 g of protein, 24 g of fat, 8 g of saturated fat, 199 mg of cholesterol, 264 mg of sodium, 1116 mg of potassium, 2 g of sugar, 170 IU of vit A, 3.5 mg of vit C, 28 mg of calcium and 6.7 mg of iron.
So, In this article, you came to know about the recipe for Pastrami. By this method, you can preserve the meat in the form of Pastrami.