Music and wine: two worlds that meet
Music and wine: two worlds that meet
Music and wine are not two irreconcilable worlds: here are 13 Italian and foreign musicians who have dedicated themselves to the production of wine and sommellerie.
From record companies to wineries it is a short step for many rock stars. After all, we always talk about labels. It makes no difference for artists like Sting to go from the Sanremo stage to the presentation of the Tuscany Previews in Florence. The list of singers and musicians who have bought a vineyard to produce their own wine is getting longer and more and more surprising.
- The ex of The Police best represents the category of musicians who have converted to the vineyard. It will be thanks to Sting ‘s charisma , to the choice to produce wine in Tuscany but above all to his quality wine production. Even the Wine Spectator magazine , the world bible of wine lovers, has noticed it and has included it among the best producers in a list that includes the historical families of wine (Antinori, Frescobaldi, Lunelli, Gaja). The flagship wine is Sister Moon , a blend of 40% Sangiovese, 30% Merlot, 30% Cabernet Sauvignon. Other labels include Message In A Bottle and When We Dance . Prices between 15 and 35 euros.
- The tenor Andrea Bocelli has always been linked to the land and in particular to his Lajatico, in the heart of the Val d’Era, in the province of Pisa. Here his family has been producing wine for two centuries. It is not surprising that, after the music, Bocelli divides his time between the horses and the vineyard. The idea of bottling wine was an extreme gesture of love for his father Alessandro who died before seeing the project realized. Following company and production, the younger brother of the tenor and his manager, Alberto. Seven Igt, two Docg (a Brunello and a Chianti), a Prosecco Doc and a Rosè Brut: this is the production of the Bocelli house in great demand on the American market and in Northern Europe. Prices from 10 to 45 euros.
- Family business for pop star Madonna . His father Silvio Tony Ciccone and his wife Joan have been running Ciccone Vineyard for over 20 years , a company of which the singer is a financier. The company produces Pinot Grigio, Pinot noir, Gewurztraminer, Cabernet Franc and Chardonnay in Michigan . Of course there is also a wine dedicated to Pacentro, the Abruzzo town from which the Ciccone family comes. In the past, limited editions have been dedicated to Madonna by Celebrity Cellars, specialized in this kind of memorabilia: among the most recent the one that bears the name of Confessions on a dance floor.
- The Certosa di Belriguardo , the Chianti area of the Sienese hills, is the company of Gianna Nannini . The singer plays at home: here the Sangiovese grape is the master. Among the labels: Baccano, Rosso di clausura, Chianti docg, Chiostro di Venere and Innno , with three Ns: the symbolic wine of Tuscany which is characterized by the absence of synthetic fertilizers, herbicides and with 40 percent less sulphites. Prices between 8 and 23 euros.
- The Simple Minds have chosen Sicily to produce wine and invest in the hotel sector . Jim Kerr , leader of the Scottish band that exploded in the Eighties with the hit Don’t you , is often in Taormina to follow the activities in the agricultural and hotel sector.
- The red Mick Hucknall , frontman of Simply Red , who has always been a lover of Italy, has a winery at the foot of Mount Etna called Il Cantante . It is a Nero D’Avola produced in the territory of Pachino with the most typical red grape of the island. The result is red wines that do not go unnoticed. True stars in their own way. Price: about 30 euros.
- Zucchero instead entrusted Cantine Lunae with the task of producing 3 labels: a red, a white and a rosé. It is a very limited production and the owner of the winery Diego Bosoni accepted for the friendship that binds the singer to the father of the producer.
- The AC / DC who not only produce wine in Australia but also beer and tequila have succumbed to the charm of wine . The labels include cabernet sauvignon Highway to Hell , sauvignon blanc Hells Bells , shiraz Back in Black . Prices from 11 to 48 euros.
- Grease days are long gone , Olivia Newton John , after breast cancer, focused her efforts on charitable battles. The Newton-John Cellars own logo Pink and Blue Wine . Wines with this label, a Chardonnay and a Cabernet Sauvignon help raise funds to support charitable projects in an effort to help make the world a better place. The cost is $ 12.
- The trash metal band Slayer has launched a red (and it couldn’t be otherwise) called Reign in Blood, the title of their third album. The deluxe version is also online, complete with a coffin-shaped gift box. Prices starting from 16 euros.
- Cellino San Marco singer Al Bano has always boasted of his peasant origins. On his farm he produces different types of wine, each for a special reason. Thus we find Felicità also in the Brut version, from the title of the most famous song paired with Romina, to Don Carmelo which is a tribute to his father, Plato , a blend of Primitivo and Negroamaro and the award-winning Taras . Over 350 thousand bottles produced per year. Prices between 10 and 42 euros.
- Fergie , the lead singer of the Black Eyed Peas along with her father Pat Ferguson launched Ferguson Crest in 2006 . A 6 acre estate in Santa Ynez Valley in Santa Barbara County that looks like an ideal model to the Rhone Valley in France. The flagship wine is Fergalicious: a name, a program. Prices 20-35 dollars.
- Maynard James Keenan , leader and singer of Tool, has long had a great passion for the world of wine. As fans of the metal genre know, he is an expert sommelier : he caused scandal for having issued statements in which he combines different types of wines with human flesh. So better a pinot noir for the cheeks and a beer for the nose, too full of cartilage and lips. For the language, he has no doubts: Barolo or Shiraz with a little wood.
- Fabrizio Paoletti is the Tuscan luthier who uses old disused Chianti barrels to build guitars . Almost ten years of activity that took off after the decisive meeting with Maurizio Solieri, historical guitarist of Vasco. The wine-guitars were seen on stage with Ligabue, Slash (Guns’ n Roses), Bruce Springsteen, John Norum (Europe), Phil X (Bon Jovi), Brian May (Queen), Keith Richards (Rolling Stones) and the list is still long.