MPIGNULATI OF RACALMUTU
To be served with a nice glass of Nero d’Avola.
- For pasta
- 1 kg re-milled durum wheat semolina
- 1 cube of brewer’s yeast
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- For the stuffing
- 1.5 kg pork sausage
- 2 kg onions
- 600 gr pitted black olives
- 300 gr grated pecorino
- extra virgin olive oil
- Dissolve the yeast in a little warm water.
- Mix flour, oil and salt and then add the yeast dissolved in the water. Work until the mixture is smooth and compact.
- Divide the dough into blocks of about 100 g each and leave to rest for an hour.
- Peel the onions, cut them into strips and fry them in a pan with oil.
- Roll out the loaves with a rolling pin and cut into round and thin sheets a few millimeters.
- Spread oil on each sheet and place the stewed onion, raw sausage into pieces, black olives on top and sprinkle with grated pecorino. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roll up the pastry incorporating the filling in order to obtain a spiral. Close the end by placing it under the spiral.
- Arrange them ‘mpignulati in a pan and bake in the oven at 180 degrees for about thirty minutes.