How to make vegetable Biryani
How to make vegetable Biryani
Biryani is one of the most famous dishes in Asian countries, especially in Pakistan and India. Biryani is usually a mixed rice dish that has been originated from within the Muslims of the subcontinent. While preparing the biryani, the curry is mixed into the semi-boiled rice and then they are held on the dam. Biryani is a Hindustani word that has been taken from the Persian language. Persian words like Birinj which means rice and the biryani or biriyani that means “to fry or to roast” may be the originator of the biryani word.
The origin of the biryani is not confirmed. It may be from the royal dishes of the Mughal regime. Biryani has many variations from the side of added ingredients. Depending upon these, the biryani may be made up of chicken, vegetables, mutton, beef and many more. In this article, we are going to discuss vegetable biryani. Vegetable biryani is considered to be the dish of Hyderabad, the land of Nawabs. The recipe of the vegetable biryani which will be mentioned in this article is of the Hyderabadi format that is delicious, light, a bit spiced and aromatic. The nutritional value of the vegetable biryani will also be discussed.
The total timing for this recipe of vegetable biryani is 1 hour and 30 minutes including the 45 minutes of preparation and the 45 minutes for cooking.
The serving size of this recipe is 10 persons serving. The serving size can increase or decrease by managing the ingredients in that way as you want.
The main ingredients of the recipe include rice, Indian spices, yogurt, and vegetables. These and other ingredients with their accurate quantities are:
- 3 cups of basmati rice or 600 grams of basmati rice
- 2 cups of water for soaking rice
- 300 grams of cauliflower or 3 cups of the cauliflower leaves
- 180 to 200 g of potatoes or you can say 4 medium potatoes in the chopped form
- 180 to 200 grams of carrots or 2 large carrots in the chopped form
- 100 grams of French beans in the chopped form
- About 15 to 18 white mushrooms in the chopped form
- 2 large or medium green bell peppers or about 80 to 120 g of capsicum in the chopped form
- ¾ cup of green peas either fresh or frozen
- About 200 g of onion or 2 large onions or 2 fully filled cups of onion in the chopped or thinly sliced form
- About 20 g of ginger or 4 pieces of the 2-inch ginger or you can also take about 3 spoons of chopped ginger or 2 tbsp of ginger paste.
- 10 g of garlic or 20 medium garlic cloves or 2 tablespoons of the chopped garlic or 1 tablespoon of the garlic paste
- 4 green chilies either slit or sliced
Cooking the Biryani rice
- About 5 to 6 green cardamoms
- 2 black cardamoms
- 6 cloves
- 2 pinch cinnamon
- 2 Indian bay leaf or Taij Patta
- About 4 single javitri
- 10 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon of salt or according to your taste requirement
For the gravy
- 6 tablespoons of ghee or in the place of ghee you can also use the oil as it is better for good health.
- 2 tablespoons of caraway seeds
- 2 tej Patta
- 6 green cardamoms
- 2 black cardamom
- 2 pinch cinnamon
- and 2 cups of curd fresh and whisked
- 2 teaspoon of red chili powder
- When you are cooking the gravy n the pressure cooker then use about 1 cup of water, when you are using the pot then use about 1.5 cups of water
- 4 tablespoons of cashews
- 2 tablespoons of raisins
- 4 tablespoons of almonds (blanched, peeled and sliced)
- Use the salt as the taste requirement or preference
For layering the biryani
- About 40 g of coriander leaves or ¾ cup of the coriander leaves
- 10 grams of mint leaves or 2/3 cup of the mint leaves in the chopped form
- About 8 to 10 tablespoons of milk
- About ½ teaspoon of the saffron strands
- 4 tablespoons of kewra water or rose water
Directions for the procedure:
The directions for preparing and cooking the Hyderabadi vegetable biryani with step by step guidance is:
Preparation for the biryani
- First of all, pick the rice and then rinse them under the running water tap so that the water becomes free of starch. After rinsing the rice, soak the rice in water for about 30 minutes.
- When the time of soaking has been out, drain the water from the rice and keep them on aside.
- While the rice is being soaked, prepare the other ingredients of the biryani especially vegetables.
The cooking of the rice
- Take a pan with a deep and broad bottom pan and add in it the water. Then heat the water on a high flame.
- When the water is hot, add the spices into the water along with tej Patta, green cardamoms, cloves, black cardamom, cinnamon, and javitri.
- Heat the water until it comes to a boil and then adds rice in water.
- Don’t dwindle down the flame and keep cooking the rice over the same flame. Keep stirring the rice while cooking.
- The rice shouldn’t completely cook. They should only ¾th cook.
- After semi or 75 % cooking of the rice, drain them in the colander or strainer. After fluffing them, gently keep on aside.
- Take a pressure cooker or a pan and then put the ghee in it. Add the spices in the ghee that includes caraway seeds, Indian bay leaf, green cardamoms, cloves, black cardamom, and cinnamon. saute the garam masala in the ghee until when it is crackled.
- After tha add the onions into the ghee. Stir and saute it on the low or medium flame.
- Onions may take a long to for cooking. To fast the cooking process, add a pinch of salt into it.
- While the onions are being fried or cooked, take the curd in another bowl and whisk or beat it until a smooth texture. Saute the onions in the ghee until the onions become brown n color or caramelized.
- After that add the ginger-garlic paste into the ghee along with the green chilies. Fry the ginger-garlic in the ghee and continue frying until the aroma of the ginger and garlic goes away.
- Add the turmeric and chili powder into the cooking mixture of the gravy. Stir and mix well.
- Add the yogurt into the pan and then stir with the addition of the water. Season the gravy mix with the salt and keep stirring.
- If you are using the pressure cooker then cook the vegetables in it for about 1 whistle on a medium flame. If using the pot then cook the vegetables completely but don’t overcook them.
- On another side take the milk in a pot and then warm it either in the microwave or over the stove and then mix the saffron strands in it while keep stirring.
- The gravy mixture of the vegetables shouldn’t contain much water but should have a slightly thicker consistency. If even after using the pressure cooker the water is left or vegetables are not properly cooked then simmer the mixture over the flame for some time until it is done.
- After all the mixture has been properly cooked, add the raisins, cashews, and almonds into the gravy. Mix and stir in the gravy after that keep it on aside.
The layering of the Biryani
- Now take a thick bottom and a deep pan, place half of the gravy in the pan in layer form.
- Then make the layer of the half of the rice over it.
- After that, sprinkle half of the saffron milk, coriander leaves and mint over the rice layer.
- Put the remaining gravy over the rice and then make another layer of the left rice. Then sprinkle the remaining saffron milk, coriander, and mint leaves, kewra or rose water on the top of it.
Cooking the biryani on dum
- Seal the pot with aluminum foil and then cover it with a lid to put on dum. Heat the Tawa on the flame and then place the handi on the Tawa for dum.
- Keep the flame to the lowest and cook the biryani for about 25 to 30 minutes. When the rice cooking complete, give them a standing time of about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Delicious Hyderabadi vegetable biryani ready to serve and enjoy.
Per serving this recipe provides you about 457 kcal of energy along with 72 g of carbohydrates, 14 g fat and 12 g of proteins. It also provides you vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, iron, potassium and sodium.
So, in a nutshell, the Hyderabadi version of the vegetable biryani is too delicious to taste and enjoy. Whenever you make the biryani in your kitchen at home, this recipe article will help you a lot and would be an awful experience for you.