How to make mealie meal porridge
How to make mealie meal porridge
Mealie meal porridge is a staple food of most of the South African people. It is made from the maize meal that is the ground form of the dried corn or we can say that maize is its main ingredient. It has been originated from the same area of South Africa. And it is the most famous side dish in the region of Braai, Africa. It is usually enjoyed or served with the tomato sauce or the onion gravy. Sometimes, it is also famous as a breakfast with milk and sugar as porridge. It is often made by adding the raw ingredients or the maize flour to the boiling water and depending upon the water proportion it is turned into porridge. In this article, the recipe for the Mealie meal porridge will be provided along with the nutrition facts and kitchen tips.
This recipe of the mealie meal porridge would yield about 12 servings. The servings can increase or decrease by managing the ingredients in that way.
The total time required for this recipe is 1 hour; including 20 minutes of preparation and the 40 minutes of cooking.
- 2 liter of water
- 240 g of white maize meal
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 cups of milk, more if necessary or you desire to dilute the porridge
- Brown sugar as per taste or requirement
For making the maple butter sauce
- 2 cups of the maple syrup
- 240 g of the cold unsalted butter, cut in the form of cubes
Directions for the procedure:
- First of all, take a kettle and boil the water in it. After that add the water and the maize meal to the potjie and suspend this potjie over a heavy-duty grilling tray.
- Boil the water slowly with continuous stirring with the help of the wooden spoon so that the maize meal while cooking doesn’t make lumps. This cooking procedure will take about 10 minutes.
- While cooking the mixture will make bubbles as it is getting cook and thicken. The mealie meal porridge at the end should have a smooth consistency.
- Now adjust the heat or reduce the flame by moving away from the potjie from the flame. After that cover the potjie with any lid and let the cooking porridge simmering for about 40 minutes over the slow and regular flame.
- You must keep watching the cooking porridge while it is simmering and should do the occasional stirring as it can be got burnt from the bottom or stuck to sides of the pot.
- While the porridge is simmering, on one side prepare the maple butter sauce. Take a small pan and after pouring the maple syrup into it place it over the medium flame for cooking purpose of the sauce.
- The maple syrup will start bubbling. Do the continuous stirring and make sure the syrup doesn’t get burnt from the bottom.
- When the maple syrup just starts to bubble, add in it the butter and stir both things to mix well. Then keep this sauce on aside.
- The consistency of porridge should be thick and smooth. Then stir the porridge in the milk. You can increase or decrease the milk quantity according to your desire.
- So, delicious mealie meal porridge is ready to enjoy. Serve it warm by sprinkling the sugar and the maple syrup on the porridge.
This recipe of the mealie meal porridge per 100 g will provide you about 328 kcal of energy for your daily activities along with the 72 g of carbohydrates, 8 g of proteins and 3 g of fats. It also provides you with 6 g of fiber and sometimes no fat or zero fat.
So, in the light of the above discussion Mealie meal porridge is the staple side dish of South Africa and is incredibly tasty and enjoyed there. It makes from the maize meal that is the ground form of the dried corn. So, the concentrated or diluted texture of the porridge depends upon the milk quantity used. This article recipe for the Mealie meal porridge will definitely inspire you with its great resulting taste when you would try in your kitchen.