How to make home-made bread rolls
How to make home-made bread rolls
What are bread rolls and their origin?
It is a wonderful dish of American cuisine. It is usually a bread form that tastes delicious when kept in mouth. These pieces of bread are in the form of rolls that’s why sometimes called bread rolls. A roll is usually a small and round loaf of bread served as a meal either eaten plain or with butter. A bread roll can fill in the center with a filling when cutting into two halves or can be eaten whole.
Rolls can also be meant for making sandwiches as two halves as the bread slices are used for making it. Although, it is a dish of American cuisine it is equally liked and consumed as a part of the other cuisines in the world. Rolls are usually common in Europe especially in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Sweden, Fin-land, Denmark, Norway, Italy, Hungary, the United Kingdom, and many other countries. As it is famous across the whole of Europe so may be originated from the western world that maybe America.
They are often dressed at the top with different things e.g sesame seeds, poppy seeds, pumpkin or sunflower, etc. There are many variant names of these bread rolls in the whole of Europe. There is a huge variety of rolls found in Europe that ranges from the white rolls that are often made with wheat flour to dark rolls mostly containing the rye flour.
Some varieties may include some sort of the spices e.g coriander, cumin or nuts. These bread rolls are used in the meal as a side dish that can be enjoyed with different fillings and toppings. These bread rolls are also available in the market but making these rolls at the home can be an awful experience for you. It might happen that you would like this recipe of rolls to that much so you even forget to buy them from the market next time. This article discusses the recipe for bread rolls along with with the nutritional value, kitchen tips, and instructions.
The time for this recipe of the bread rolls has its total time as 3 hours and 12 minutes including 3 hours of preparation and the 12 minutes as its cooking time.
The serving size for this recipe of the bread rolls is 40 servings. You can increase or decrease the serving size by managing the ingredients in that way.
Home-made dinner rolls are usually buttery, fluffy and deliciously tasty. Its main ingredients may be that making the dough e.g flour and other things like that. The ingredients of the bread rolls with their measured amounts are given below:
- 3 tablespoons of yeast
- ½ cup of warm water
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 1 cup of butter but in softened form;
- 1 cup of sugar
- 6 eggs
- About 2 cups of milk warmed; whole milk or 2% milk will be best for use
- 9 to 10 cups of flour, there may be a need to add more according to the consistency of the dough
- 3 to 4 teaspoons of salt
For brushing on the top of the bread rolls:
- 12 to 14 tablespoons of butter in the softened form to brush the top of the rolls
Directions for the procedure:
The brief recipe method for the bread rolls will be discussed here but the detailed kitchen tips and instructions will be mentioned later to that. The directions for making the bread rolls are as follows:
1) In a bowl, add the yeast, warm water, and sugar. Stir them to mix keep it on a side so that the yeast begins to proof. Give the yeast the time of about 10 minutes so that the yeast bubble and make the foam.
2) Take a large bowl and put it in the butter and sugar and with the help of stand mixer cream the butter for about 1 minute. After that add the eggs and the milk into the same bowl and mix it for about 2 minutes more. Then add this mixture to the yeast that has been proofed and set aside.
3) Now pour down the salt and the flour into the yeast mixture. Mix it for about 5-7 minutes and prepare the dough. Watch the dough and wait for the time when the dough starts to come off the sides of the bowl. Add more flour into it for about 1-3 tablespoons, if needed.
4) Cover the bowl and then keep it on a side in a warm place so that it gets its size double. Leave the dough in that warm place for about 1-2 hours. If you want to fasten the rising process, heat the oven to 200 degrees and then turn off the oven. After turning off the oven place the covered bowl into the oven so that it gets double in size.
5) When the dough is doubl take it out and modify it to form small balls by rolling the dough. The size of the balls may vary according to your desire and preference.
6) Now place the dough made balls or rolls on a baking dish that has been greased or buttered before. Close together to ensure that the rolls not spread but rise in the upward direction. Brush the rolls with the already softened butter. Cover them and set aside to rise for about 1 hour.
7) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
8) Bake the bread rolls or balls for about 14 to 18 minutes until golden brown. Brush the rolls with remaining melted butter.
9) Serve the delicious bread rolls warm or we can serve later but for that store them in an airtight container.
Kitchen tips for making bread rolls
Several important tips can make your homemade bread rolls incredibly tasty, soft, fluffy, buttery and delicious. The kitchen tips for that include:
The first kitchen tip is that you should use very warm water for your yeast to be proofed. The temperature of the water must be around 110 degrees. When the sugar adds to the yeast, it expedites the process of proofing. Always use fresh yeast and leave the yeast for about 5 minutes to proof. The yeast will start working when it forms the creamy foam on the top.
About eggs and butter:
Butter and eggs always enrich the homemade bread rolls with softness and smoothness.
III. About stand mixer:
For making the bread rolls, there must be the dough kneaded either with your hands or you can use a stand mixer for this purpose. If you use the stand mixer it will reduce the workload on you and save your time. It just requires 5 minutes of kneading with the stand mixture.
Getting double size before baking:
Let the dough be double in size before baking and for this purpose place it in a warmer place and covered. If you want to speed up the rising process just place it in the oven that has been preheated at 200 degrees and turned off. It will also save you time by cutting the rising time to half.
Rolling the dough and buttering:
Roll down the dough into the preferred size and then placed in a baking pan. Place the rolls close together so that they rise in the upward direction and not spread. Brush the balls with softened butter.
Bake the rolls until golden brown:
Heat the oven to about 350 degrees and then bake the rolls in it until golden brown. Then remove the bread from the oven and then brush it with the butter on the top to moist and give the shine.
VII. These bread rolls will give a lovely taste when taken up with the honey butter that the half cup of soften butter mix with the ¼ cup of honey.
VIII. Always use the regular yeast rather than a rapid rise.
- For best results use the bread rolls on the same day you bake them.
About 1 serving of the bread roll provides you about 210 kcal of energy along with 4 g of fat, 36 g of carbohydrates and 4g of proteins. It provides you vitamins A, iron and calcium.
So, in the light of the above discussion bread rolls are lovely to make at home with this recipe even better than the market available ones. These are the delicious ones ever.