How to make Chicken Biryani
How to make Chicken Biryani
Biryani is one of the most famous dishes in Asian countries, especially in Pakistan and India. Biryani is usually a mixed rice dish that has been originated from within the Muslims of the subcontinent. While preparing the biryani, the curry is mixed into the semi-boiled rice and then the rice is held on the dam. Biryani is a Hindustani word that has been taken from the Persian language. Persian words like birinj which mean rice and the biryani or biriyani that means “to fry or to roast” may be the originator of the biryani word. So, the origin of the biryani not confirm. It may be from the royal dishes of the Mughal regime.
Biryani has many variations from the side of added ingredients. Depending upon these, the biryani may dish of chicken, vegetables, mutton, beef and many more. So, In this article, we are going to discuss chicken biryani. The recipe of the chicken biryani which will be mentioned in this article is of the Hyderabadi format that is delicious, aromatic and is a traditional one. The recipe of the chicken biryani will be mentioned in this article along with nutritional value with the step by step instructions and guidance.
The time required for this recipe to be made requires about 1 hour and 25 minutes with 1 hour of preparation and 25 minutes of cooking.
The serving size for this recipe of the recipe is for 8 people. You can increase or decrease the serving size of the recipe by managing the ingredients in that way.
Chicken biryani usually prepares by the following ingredients:
For the marinated chicken
- 1 kg of chicken
- About 6 tablespoons of the curd or yogurt
- 2 ½ tablespoons of the ginger and garlic paste either in minced or crushed form
- Add the salt in the marinating mixture according to your taste
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder or Haldi
- One to two teaspoon of chili powder ( Red )
- About 1 to 1 ½ teaspoon of the biryani masala powder (you can also use the garam masala powder instead of it)
- About 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice
The additional spices for enhanced taste
- 2 bay leaves or tej “Patta”
- 6 to 8 cardamoms or the “Elaichi” seeds
- About 8 to 12 cloves or “lavang”
- About 2-inch piece of cinnamon or Dalchini
- 1 ½ teaspoon of the caraway seeds or jeera
- 2 strands of javitri
The other ingredients need to make the biryani
- 4 cups of the basmati rice
- About 4 tablespoons of ghee or oil
- 2 large onions (sliced or chopped)
- ½ to ¾ cup of mint or pudina leaves
- 2 green chilies in chopped or slit form
- About half to one cup of yogurt
- ½ to 1 teaspoon of the red chili powder
- 2 teaspoons of the biryani masala powder
- About ½ teaspoon of the salt ( don’t add much salt as salt has also been added to the marinating chicken)
- And about 6 to 7 cups of water or according to the need
- About 1 teaspoon of salt to add in the boiling water
- About 3 tablespoons of fried onion ( you can skip this point if you don’t like)
Directions for the procedure:
The recipe’s step by step guide is as follows with the procedure:
Preparation for the biryani:
- First of all, take a bowl and then add in it the curd, ginger garlic paste, salt, biryani masala, chili powder, turmeric, and lemon juice. Mix them well and prepare the marinade.
- After mixing and preparing the marinade, taste it. If the marinade tastes less spiced or salted then add more salt and spices into it.
- Then wash out the chicken and add it into the marinade and keep it on aside for about 30 minutes. For the marinating material to be completely embedded in the chicken, make little cuts on the chicken pieces.
- After that, rinse the rice in the running water and then soak them for about 30 minutes. After 30 minutes when the rice has been soaked. Drain them in a colander or strainer and lets the water be completely drained form them for about a few minutes.
Method for biryani making:
- Take a pot or cooker and then put ghee or oil in it. Saute all spices that you have kept on a side in this ghee that include “tej Patta”, zebra, cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon, and javitri.
- Fry the onions with continuous stirring until the onions are light brown in color.
- Add the chicken into the spices that have been sauteing and then fry it in this mixture for about 5 minutes on a medium flame heat.
- Cover the cooker or the pot in which you are cooking the chicken and then let the chicken cook until it is tender and soft. Cook the chicken on the low flame.
- Cover off the lid from the pot or cooker and then cook the chicken openly to evaporate any kind or excess of moisture.
- In the cooking chicken, add the curd, mint, green chili, red chili powder, salt, and biryani masala.
- Mix each and everything well in the chicken and then after its cooking keeps it on aside for the layering procedure.
Layering procedure for biryani:
- Now take the pot for layering the biryani and at the bottom of the pan make the layer of the cooked chicken. Level it well.
- After that spread the rice layer over the chicken layer and make the rice surface equally uniform.
- Then, take a bowl and add in it about 6 to 7 cups of water and add the salt into it and mix it in the water. The water should be slightly salty.
- Pour about 4 cups of this salty water at the sides of the pot and then pour 2 cups of this water over the rice and chicken.
- Then spread the fried onion and the mint leaves over the rice. It will give the enhanced taste to the biryani due to which your biryani will stand out above all. Level the rice if you feel the need for it.
- If you are making the biryani in an open pot then cover the pot and cook the biryani until the biryani or rice cooks according to your desire or preference.
- When you are using the pressure cooker for this purpose then you have to cook it for about one whistle. For that purpose, cover the cooker and place it on a medium-high flame. Place the whistle on the cooker lid and cook the biryani. When the cooker blows the first whistle, remove the cooker from the stove and then keep it on a side to prevent further cooking.
- Leave the cooker to take rest until all the air pressure is down and then mix and fluff up the biryani with a spoon or fork.
- Your tasty Hyderabadi chicken biryani is ready to serve. Each serving should have an equal amount of the rice and the chicken from the pot.
- The delicious and savory chicken biryani can be served and enjoyed with salad, raita, and gravy of your choice.
Kitchen tips for the perfect chicken biryani
We have discussed all the procedures of the chicken biryani above but there are some kitchen tips that you must keep in your mind so that your chicken biryani goes perfect each time. These tips include;
How to make biryani masala at home:
Take the spice of the small piece of nutmeg, 5 cardamoms, ½ tablespoon pepper, 5 cloves, 2-inch cinnamon, ½ tablespoon of the fennel seeds and ½ tablespoon of stone flower in a blender and powder them smoothly.
Never use the sour yogurt or if you are using it then skip the use of lemon juice.
Use the water in the biryani according to the water requirement of the rice that you are using and must be careful about that.
Per serving this recipe of the chicken biryani gives you about 753 kcal of energy along with the 86 g of carbohydrates, 34 g of proteins and 29 g of fat. It also provides you vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium and iron.
In the light of the above discussion chicken biryani would be a delicious meal for you at lunch or dinner time but the biryani made with this recipe will have a great taste and aroma. You will really enjoy this recipe in your kitchen at large.