How to cook a turkey | thanksgiving food
How to cook a turkey for a Thanksgiving Dinner
Introduction to How to cook a turkey
You are here to learn how to cook a turkey for a Thanksgiving Dinner. Turkey is a very tasty and delicious meaty dish from the poultry platform. Turkey meat usually referred to like turkey. It is made from a bird that is mostly from the domesticated ones. Usually, it serves as the main dish in the thanksgiving dinner mainly in the United States and Canada.
History about how to cook a turkey
It is the most popular dish, especially in North America. Besides, the Thanksgiving dinner, it considers as the traditional dish consumed on the cultural events as Christmas. Basically, It considers as part of the standard cuisine of North America. Turkeys with the mole sauce are considered as the “national dish” of Mexico. We can cook or serve Turkeys as a whole or in sliced form depending on the preference. Basically, a whole turkey is cook in the microwave with its feather, head, and feet removed. For Thanksgiving dinner, usually, turkey serves stuff or dress with cranberry sauce, gravy, mashed potatoes, squash, green beans, and sweet potatoes, etc. Turkey is a very savory dish that requires your utmost attention during cooking. In this article, the discussion will be about the turkey recipe, step by step instructions and kitchen tips along with its nutritional value. so how to cook a turkey for a Thanksgiving Dinner?
Recipe: How to cook a turkey for a Thanksgiving Dinner
The serving size of this recipe for turkey is about 14 people. You can increase or decrease the servings because it depends upon the weight of the bird and managing the ingredients and the microwave cooking time for the turkey bird.
Ingredients for How to cook a turkey
The ingredients for the roasted turkey with their accurate amounts are:
- 14 pounds turkey bird, in the thawed form or that is being defrosted
- 7 tablespoons of unsalted butter that has been cut into about 1 tablespoon of small squares or pats
- 2 yellow onions that have been peeled and halved from the center
- 5 garlic cloves peeled but in the whole form
For the dry rub of turkey:
- 2 ½ tablespoons of salt
- 2 ½ tablespoons of dried thyme
- 1 ½ teaspoon of dried sage
- ¾ teaspoon of paprika
- And ¾ teaspoon of pepper
- ¾ teaspoon of mustard in the ground form
Directions for the procedure to cook a turkey for a Thanksgiving Dinner
So How to cook a turkey for a Thanksgiving Dinner? The brief description for the method of the roasted turkey is given below but the detailed key tips for its preparation in the kitchen of your home will be explained further or later to that. The preparation method of How to cook a turkey for a Thanksgiving Dinner includes the following:
1) First of all, preheat the oven to about 325 degrees F.
2) Take a bowl and mix in it the thyme, sage, paprika, pepper, and the ground mustard until all the spices are properly and completely incorporated.
3) As it is mention that you can also use the frozen turkey after being thawed that have been purchased from the market. But if you use the fresh turkey it will even taste better than the packaged one. When you are using the packaged turkey from the market, remove it from the packaging and then from the cavity of the turkey remove the neck and the gizzard and heart containing packet. Heart and gizzard can save or otherwise discard depending on your choice.
4) After the turkey has been thawed or defrosted, take the paper towels and then with the help of them dry off the bird’s skin and also the bird’s inner cavity.
5) Now, the turn is to remove the skin from the breast of the turkey. Lift the skin from the breast of the turkey near to the side close to the legs. With the help of your hands remove the skin from both sides of the breast but not detached it and inserts your hand in between the skin and the meat to place the butter pats.
6) Place about three pats of the unsalted butter on one side of the turkey breast under the skin and spread them all around equally. Do the same procedure on the other side.
7) Now sprinkle the dry rub mixture all over the turkey breast, legs, wings or you can say on the whole turkey bird from every side. After sprinkling the dry rub, press the mixture gently on the skin of the turkey so that it incorporates a little into the skin. If some of the dry rub mixtures have left, sprinkle it into the bird’s cavity, it will give taste better.
8) Now, place the garlic cloves and the onions halves into the cavity of the bird. Now, the bird is ready to roast.
9) Place the turkey on the roasting pan. It would be better to use a rack with the roasting pan. Basically, will prevent the turkey from being soggy.
10) The next step is to cover the turkey’s breast with a silver foil. For that, take a silver foil paper of the reasonable size that fits the size of the bird and places it over the turkey’s breast. The foil should be large enough to cover the bird’s breast as a whole. Therefore, Press down the foil and mold it to the breast.
11) Place the turkey in the oven and roast it for about 2 hours and 30 minutes at the temperature of 325 degrees. And after the timing of 2 hours remove the foil form the turkey’s breast carefully. Now change the temperature of the oven and increase it to 400 degrees temperature for about 1 hour. Cook the turkey for the extended time or for that stage when the temperature of the bird’s breast reaches the temperature of 165 degrees F or when the skin of the bird’s breast becomes golden and crispy.
12) Remove the turkey from the oven and enjoy it as a hearty meal with a delicious and decadent taste.
Kitchen Tips How to cook a turkey
The kitchen tips and the instructions for the preparation of turkey can make your recipe tastier. These key points include:
- You should thaw your turkey for about 24 hours for each 4 to 5 pounds of frozen turkey.
- When you increase the temperature for the last hour, it renders your turkey bird’s skin more crispy and nice without the drying of meat.
- Covering the breast’s meat with a foil ensures that the meat of the turkey doesn’t get overcooked. The reason behind this is that foil prevents the direct heat to the turkey’s breast and deflects some heat so that the turkey properly cook.
- If you are consuming a heavyweight turkey bird you can increase the seasoning of the spices according to your preference and desire that will make the turkey juicy and with a gorgeous taste.
- The turkey should be cooked until the temperature of the breast and the legs reaches the level of 165 degrees F.
- The use of the onions and the garlic cloves is an optional step that you can skip if you don’t want to add these to the bird’s cavity. So, the benefit of it is just that it gives a nice flavor boost to the meat.
- The roasting temperature-time differs for different weighing birds. As this recipe is for 14 pounds bird, there is an addition of about 15 minutes for each pound at the 325 degrees F. the last extend hour for that the temperature goes to 400 degrees F doesn’t change further.
Nutritional value of turkey
The nutritional value of the turkey is such that it provides you about 454 kcal of energy per serving along with a high ratio of protein content that is about 70 g and 18 g of fat, So, The turkey meat doesn’t provide you any carbohydrates or you can say 0 carbohydrates except for the 1 g of sugar. It is a high protein meat diet that gives 5 g of saturated fats, 232 mg of cholesterol, 361 mg of sodium, 35 mg of calcium, 3 mg of iron and 721 mg of potassium Usually, It also provides you with many vitamins such as Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic acid, Folate, and 180 IU of vitamin A.
So, in the light of the above discussion turkey is a dish having a decadent taste that often serves as a traditional meal on the thanksgiving dinner and the cultural festivals such as Christmas. So, It is a delicious dish. Experiencing this recipe for the roasted turkey at your home will be awful and lovely. So you have learned how to cook a turkey for a Thanksgiving Dinner.