Good pregnancy snacks
Good pregnancy snacks
Pregnancy is the stage that is very much important from the point of the healthy diet. Everything that you eat during this period affects your baby and yourself at a great rate. When you are expecting a child you are not eating only for yourself but also the fetus being nourished in your womb. A woman when getting pregnant she is much happy to feel her baby and she wonders what she could care for her child at that level which she has never gone over.
There must be a full eye on the nutrition of the food that a woman eats even that each morsel of your meal should be enriched in high-quality nutrition. Healthy pregnancy snacks play an important role in the health of both mother and fetus. The snacks taken during pregnancy should have a special set of dietary needs. When you are eating for the two lives it doesn’t demand only quantity but also resides greatly on the quality. So, the mother should take high-quality snacks that make her baby be developed well and healthy. So, In this article, the discussion will be about the pregnancy snacks that will take you and your baby to the boost of energy and health along with their methods of preparation.
Healthy Snacks varieties
The following snacks will complete your nutrition in a quality way that you need in the pregnancy. So, The healthy snacks guide in this article will be according to the trimester format that you will need in each trimester according to your needs.
Snacks guide for the first trimester:
During the first trimester of pregnancy, you may experience nausea, cravings, food aversion and digestive problems. Due to these issues, you may feel difficult to eat the most of things. There may be the requirement of the folate, more calories, and vitamin A. So, the recommended snacks for the first trimester include:
Peanut butter dark chocolate banana bites:
In pregnancy, your heart may yearn for one thing at this moment or for the other at the next. So, this recipe can be a perfect choice for your heart sweet cravings. So, the ingredients and the method of the recipe are given below:
- 1 banana
- 1 to 2 tablespoon of peanut butter
- Dark chocolate chips according to your taste
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Then, Nuts that you use either almonds, cashew nuts, walnuts or others
1) Cut the bananas with the knife into thin slices
2) Then brush the one slice of banana with the peanut butter and cover that slice with another slice.
3) Then put these on a large baking sheet and after topping it with the wax paper, freeze it for about an hour.
4) Take a pan and melt in it the dark chocolate chips with the peanut butter.
5) Then, take out the frozen bites from the refrigerator and cover them with the melted chocolates and nuts.
6) Then, put the frozen bites back in the freezer on the baking sheet and freeze it for another hour.
This recipe is for 2 servings.
Homemade trail mix:
It is usually a mixture of nuts, dry fruits, and seeds that you will love when you want a munch on the bed or another work site.
- ¾ cup of Almonds
- and, ¾ cup of the mix of pumpkin and sunflower seeds
- ¾ cup of raisins
- Then, ¾ cup of dried apricots in the chopped form
- ¾ cup of dried cranberries
You can also add the following options to this mix for better taste and nutrition:
- A handful of Goji berries
- A handful of dark chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon of bee pollen
The method includes:
1) Combine all the nuts, seeds and dry fruits and store them in an air-tight container that you can eat at the time when you long for some crispiness.
This recipe is for 4 cups.
These healthy balls can be used or taken in breakfast and are easy to make.
- ½ cup of peanut or almond butter
- ½ cup of honey
- 1 ½ cup of oats
- Then, ½ cup of wheat germ in the ground form
- ½ cup of dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup of the mix of nuts and soft dried fruits
1) Blend the butter and the honey till they begin to show a smooth consistency. The blending process can also be made easier if you warm them up to some extent.
2) Then add the remaining ingredients and mix them well.
3) With the help of wet hands or the cookie scoops, make the cookie balls and then refrigerate them in the freezer that you can enjoy later.
This recipe will make about 15 to 20 cookie balls.
Berry yogurt parfait:
It is a sweet snack with a strong aftertaste and packed with healthy and fresh fruits.
- 1 cup of non-fat Greek yogurt
- Then, 1 tablespoon of low-fat granola
- 1 cup of chopped fresh berries mix that is of strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries
1) Rinse the berries and then air-dry them. After that, cut them into small pieces.
2) Take the glass bowls or glasses and add in it at the bottom the layer of yogurt, followed by the berries layer and then add it at the top with granola.
3) Continue to make the layers until the glass or the bowl is full.
4) Enjoy it fresh.
This recipe will make only 1 serving.
It is a cool refreshing drink rich in proteins, vitamin C and calcium that will relieve your morning sickness and nausea.
- 1 cup of cucumber
- 2 cups of cantaloupe
- 1 cup of low-fat yogurt
- About 6 to 8 fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 2 tablespoons of lemon zest
- Then, Ice cubes
1) Cut the cantaloupe into pieces and then put in the blender with all other ingredients.
2) Blend all the things until they begin to show a smooth consistency.
The serving size for this recipe is about 2 servings.
The roasted chickpeas are delicious and tasty giving a crunch on your taste buds and are easy to make. So, they are rich in proteins and fiber that will strengthen your digestive system.
- 6 oz. of chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Then, ¼ to ½ teaspoon of salt
- Fresh herbs that you choose for about 1 to 2 teaspoon
1) First of all, pre-heat the oven to about 230 degrees C.
2) Rinse the chickpeas and then dry them.
3) Spread the chickpeas on the baking sheet and then drizzle on them the olive oil with some salt sprinkled. Stir the chickpeas so that the whole ingredients are mixed.
4) Roast the chickpeas in the oven for about 20 to 30 min. the chickpeas will become crispy and golden but still soft inside.
5) Then, give the chickpeas a tangy flavor by sprinkling some spices on them.
6) So, chickpeas are ready to enjoy with a lovely taste and aroma.
This recipe is for 1 serving.
Spinach and baby corn soup:
If you are seeking for some hotness from the meal, this soup is the best choice for you. It would help you to come over your hunger and make you feel filled.
- ½ cup spinach in chopped form
- 1 ½ tablespoon of baby corn roundels
- ½ tablespoon of butter
- ¼ part of onion in finely chopped form
- ¾ cup of milk
- ½ teaspoon of corn-flour
- Then, Salt just to taste
- About 2 to 3 pinches of Black pepper in the ground form
1) Take butter in the pan and heat it. Add onions into the butter and then fry them for about a few minutes.
2) Add the spinach and baby corn into it. Continue to stir it and cook for two minutes. Then add the milk and water in it and let it come to a boil for about 2 minutes.
3) Then, prepare the cornflour mixture by dissolving the cornflour into one tablespoon of cold milk.
4) Then, add the cornflour mixture to the cooking mixture and cook for some time.
5) Add the salt into the cooking mixture and cook further for 1 minute. Stir the mixture continuously while you cook it.
6) Cool down the mixture and blend it until the mixture goes to be smooth inconsistency.
7) After blending the mixture, boil it again and serve hot by sprinkling the pepper powder over the top.
8) So, It is ready to eat.
This recipe has a serving size of about 2 persons.
Snacks guide during the second trimester:
During the second trimester, the nutrients that an expecting mother needs at the peak are vitamin D, magnesium and calcium. The snacks that you should take during this period are as follows:
Avocado toasts are rich in nutrients such as fats that are necessary for the cognitive development of a baby. They can be the best choice for breakfast and evening snacks due to their flavor and crunchiness.
- ½ of the ripe avocado in the peeled and pitted form
- 2 slices of the whole grain bread
- Black pepper and salt just to taste
- Half of the garlic clove peeled and cut
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- Then, sea salt flakes just to taste
- Red pepper flakes a little
1) With the help of a fork, mash the avocado in a bowl.
2) Then add the black pepper and salt into it.
3) Take the bread slices and then toast them until they are brown and crispy.
4) Rub the sides of the toasted slice with the garlic so that they get the garlic flavor.
5) Then brush each toast with the olive oil and season it with salt and pepper.
6) Then put the mashed avocado along with the salt flakes, red pepper flakes and the black pepper on each toast.
This recipe is for about 2 servings.
2) Baked potatoes with beans:
Baked potatoes with beans are a savory meal providing you ample amounts of iron, magnesium, and fiber.
- 8 medium-sized baked potatoes
- 1600 grams of the baked beans
- About 6 oz. of cheddar cheese
- Then, 8 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper just to taste
1) First of all, preheat the oven up to about 220 degrees C.
2) Then wash the potatoes as a whole and prick them with fork or knife.
3) Bake the potatoes for about 1 ½ hour till the inner side of the potatoes turns tender.
4) Place the baked beans in the microwave and heat them.
5) Then cut the potatoes into two halves and from the center empty it using the scoop.
6) Then put a spoon of the baked beans in the center of the potatoes and grate some cheese on the top of these potatoes.
7) So, the dish is ready to be enjoyed. Eat it hot.
This recipe has a serving size of 4 servings.
Sardine taste is a nutrient-rich and low-calorie snack that is blessed with a boost of calcium, iron and omega-3 fatty acids that is essential for the brain development of the baby.
- Half tablespoon of olive oil
- Half of the chopped garlic clove
- 1 red chili with the seeds removed and in the chopped form
- Half lemon
- 1 can of sardines dipped in the sunflower oil weighing 120 g
- 2 slices of the brown bread
- Then, a small bunch of the parsley in chopped form
1) Take a pan and heat the olive oil in it. So, after heating the oil in the pan, add the chopped garlic and the red chili in it and fry them.
2) Add the lemon zest into it with the sardines and heat for about sometime over the low medium flame.
3) Then put the parsley and the lemon juice into the sardines and stir them.
4) Then toast the bread slices and after topping them with the sardine your snack is ready to consume.
5) Enjoy it.
The serving size of this recipe is 1 serving.
Hard-boiled egg with crackers:
This snack is enriched in calcium, proteins, vitamin A and calories that will add quality to your meal and improve your health.
- 1 hard-boiled egg
- 3 of the multigrain wheat crackers
1) Hard boil the eggs and then cut them into small slices and then enjoy it with the wheat crackers. You can also add at the top of the crackers along with the eggs, the cucumber, spring onion and the chopped tomato on it.
2) You can also prepare the salad of it by mixing the chopped vegies, crumbled crackers, and the mashed egg and can enjoy it.
This recipe is for one serving as when your heart craves for any snack you freshly prepare and have it.
Cottage cheese with fresh fruits:
It is too simple and easy to make snack recipe with abundant calcium and proteins. So, It can be a nutritious snack for pregnancy. You can also add fruits for the sweet taste.
- Regular cottage cheese in the grated form
- Fresh fruits e.g strawberries, pineapples, blueberries, cherries, apple, pear and many more.
Take the cottage cheese in a bowl in the amount that you want to eat happily then add the fruits of your choice either in the cut or whole form. Then toss it and enjoy it.
The serving size is one for this recipe.
Snacks guide for the third trimester:
In the third trimester, you need ample amounts of calories and energy as the pregnancy period is just about to end you will need the energy while delivery or labor. So, In this duration, calorie-rich snacks are recommended.
This snack with the beans is very healthful for gestational diabetes. So, it is highly nutritious as it contains high amounts of dietary fiber, iron, and proteins.
- About 8 oz. of the black beans
- 8 oz. of the chickpeas
- Half of the tomato in the chopped form
- ¼ of the red bell pepper
- And ¼ of the green bell pepper
- ¼ cup of the red onion
- A handful of the fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon of the fresh lime juice
- Half tablespoon of red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Then, ¼ teaspoon of the cumin powder
1) First of all, remove the water from the canned solution from which you have taken the 8 oz. of beans and rinse them thoroughly.
2) Put the beans in a large bowl and then add in it the chopped tomatoes, red and green bell pepper, and onions.
3) Now take another bowl and whisk in it the lime juice, vinegar, olive oil cumin powder, and cilantro.
4) Add this mixture liquid to the beans mixture.
5) You can consume it fresh or can also extend the consumption by placing it in the refrigerator so that the beans absorb the flavor.
6) So, the healthiest snack concerning pregnancy is ready to enjoy.
The serving size for this recipe is 4 servings.
Mixed berry smoothie:
It is a creamy, thick and sweet smoothie prepared with berries that have a soft effect on your stomach pangs. So, It will give you an immense taste with each sip.
- 2 cups of mixed berries
- 2 bananas in frozen and ripe form
- Then, 1 cup of the low-fat vanilla yogurt
- ½ cup of the orange juice
- 2 tablespoons of honey
1) Put all the ingredients into a blender and then blend it until the mixture attains the smooth consistency.
2) Then pour down the smoothie into the glasses and topped them with the berries and the mint leaves.
So, The serving size of this recipe is about 2 servings.
They can be prepared with the leftovers of meat and vegetables. So, This lovely snack is topped with salsa and gives you crispiness in the mouth with the weight gain.
- 1 ½ cup of the Cooked chicken in the shredded form
- ¼ cup of salsa
- ½ teaspoon of the cumin powder
- ¼ cup of the sliced spring onion
- and, ¼ teaspoon of the dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- Then, 3 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- And, 2 tablespoons of the melted butter
- 1 cup of the grated cheese
- Sour cream and guacamole
1) Mix the cooked chicken, salsa, spring onions, cumin powder, salt and dried oregano in a large frying pan.
2) So, cook it for about 10 minutes over medium heat. Then stir it after regular intervals.
3) Brush the one side of the tortillas with butter and also grease the baking sheet and then place on it the tortillas with the sides brushed with butter on the baking sheet.
4) Top the half of each tortilla with the 1/3 cup of the chicken and further with the cheese on the top of it.
5) Then, fold the other half of the tortilla covering the cheese.
6) Bake them for about 9 to 11 minutes at 375 degrees C or until they turn golden brown.
7) Cut the tortillas into the wedges shape and then enjoy the snack with the sour cream and the guacamole.
The serving size for this recipe is about 3 servings.
So, in the light of the above discussion eating healthy and nutritious snacks improves the development of your baby and the mother’s health that will lead to the birth of a healthy baby with healthy birth weight.