It is a prearation that is now disappearing from Sicilian tables, giving way to canapes and bruschetta, which, for heaven’s sake are good, but do not have that strong connotation of Sicilian poor cuisine For me it is one of the best things that can exist: it will be because it is linked to childhood memories. Even this recipe was used to recover and not throw away the stale bread of 2-3 days. The peculiarity of this simple recipe is that it gives infinite space to the imagination. In fact, once the fried bread has been prepared, it can be seasoned as you want, you can make it a salty appetizer or a sweet snack.
- 10 – 12 slices of stale bread (Modica duramus dough would be ideal, but …)
- extra virgin olive oil
- In a large pan lay the slices of bread and wet them with the milk and let them soften. Be careful not to pour too much milk because the slices could fall apart.
- Drain the excess milk from the slices of bread and place them in a pan in which you have heated the olive oil.
- Fry them browning them evenly on all sides; then place them on a plate with absorbent kitchen paper to remove any excess oil.
- Now all that remains is to give vent to your imagination.