In this article, I will share the ingredients of chicken and chicken stock, cornbread and cornbread dressing but share the instructions only for cornbread dressing. So, cornbread is Native American cuisine. Baking powder is used for the baking process of cornbread. Cornbread is the type of any quick bread which is containing cornmeal. Basically, cornmeal has been the staple of native American so they devised recipes for using cornmeal in bread. So, there are different varieties of cornbread including baked cornbread, Crackin bread, Corn pone, Hot water cornbread, Johnnycakes, Hushpuppies and etc.
The time required for this recipe is 3hours and 20 minutes hours. 2 hours for preparation and 1 hour and 20 minutes for cooking.
This recipe yields 25 serving
For the chicken and chicken stock:
- 1(5-6Ib) thawed chicken
- 3 large celery stalks
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled it
- ¾ cup salted butter
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 8 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 tbsp and 1 teaspoon black pepper
For the cornbread:
- 5 Cups self- rising cornmeal
- And 5 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 5 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 and ½ cups whole milk (room temperature)
- 6 large eggs
- 8 oz sour cream
- ½ cup salted butter melted
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
For the cornbread Dressing
- 2 cups of finely chopped onions
- 2 cups of finely chopped celery
- ½ cup of finely chopped green pepper
- 14 oz herb used for seasoned stuffing
- 2( 10.5 ounces) can cream of mushroom soup
- 2( 10.5 ounces) can cream of chicken soup
- 8 white sandwich bread slices
- 1 tbsp ground sage
- And 1 tbsp poultry seasoning
- 1 and ½ tsp black pepper
Instructions for preparation:
Step by step instructions for preparation of Cornbread Dressing is given below:
- So, first of all, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Then, take a roasting pan and crumble the bread slice into fine small pieces with your hands.
- So, now mix onion, celery, green pepper and stuffing to crumbled cornbread. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
- Then add cream of mushrooms soups, cream of chicken soups and 6 cups of homemade chicken stock and mix it completely. Try to combine all the ingredients very well so that the flavor of ingredients gets throughout.
- So, now use a slice of bread for covering the top of the dressing mixture. Then, add 2 cups of remaining chicken stock over the bread. When pieces of bread become soft and dressing soaking the bread then mix these pieces of bread thoroughly into dressing mixture.
- So, at the last add grounded sage, poultry seasoning, and pepper and mix until all spices and seasonings mix together.
- So, take a pan of 9(13), make a layer by adding a dressing mixture to the bottom of the pan. Then add another layer with shredded chicken and then again repeat the procedure with making a layer of the dressing mixture and shredded chicken, end this procedure with the last covering of mixture on the top of the pan. Repeat all this method for another 9(13) pan.
- For baking, cover both pans with foil and bake for 45 minutes. If you observe that the top of dressing is going to dry then add a little stock to the top of the dressing and let it bake.
- Then bake for more 25 to 35 minutes without foil until the temperature reaches 180.
Try to make chicken and chicken stock the night before preparing cornbread dressing, because it will add more flavor in your dish.
Per serving of cornbread dressing provides you 449.57 kcal along with 45.98 g of carbs, 14.44 g of protein, 23.23 g of fat, 11.94 g of saturated fat, 94.03 mg of cholesterol, 714.17 mg of sodium, 340.46 mg of potassium, 4.41 g of fiber, 6.23 g of sugar, 537.76 IU vit A, 4.9 mg of vit C, 103.95 mg of calcium and 2.61 mg of iron.
By going through this article you came to know about the recipe for cornbread dressing. So, in this recipe moist skillet cornbread is combined with chicken and chicken stock and different vegetables like celery, onion, include different spices and flavor galore. By this recipe, you can create a perfect side dish for your family to get together or family holiday.