Cioppino has originated from San Francisco. It is an Italian-American dish. It is related to various regional fish soup.
The time required for this recipe is 1 hour and 15 minutes. 30 minutes for preparation and 45 minutes for cooking.
This recipe of cioppino would yield 8 servings.
The ingredients are given below:
- 3 pounds halibut or you can use another firm white fish, cut fish into inch-long cubes
- 1 large (2 pounds) cooked Dungeness crab (hard shell)
- One pound shrimp
- 2 pounds littleneck clams or mussels (muscles should be scrubbed clean and beards removed before cooking)
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 large onion)
- One cup bell pepper (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 128 ounces can tomatoes
- Broth from the mollusks
- 2 cups of red wine
- And 2 cups of tomato juice
- 2 cups of fish or shellfish stock
- An herb bouquet of bay leaf, and basil wrapped in a layer of cheesecloth and secured with kitchen string
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup minced parsley for garnish
Step by step instructions are given below:
- Steam clams and mussels:
- take a small amount of almost 2 cups of water to steam clams and mussels until they just open. Then put it aside, drain water and reserve the water as cooking broth.
- Prepare the cooked crab:
- First of all, remove the crab legs and open the shell with the help of a nutcracker. Remove meat from the shell once it served.
- Break the body into two halves then cut each into two or three pieces. You can serve the meat within a segment or pick out the crab meat from each segment. If you remove the crab meat then keep this meat in big chunks.
- Use the top of the shell for making stock. Use can use prepared shellfish or fish stock. If you don want to make your own crab shell stock then you can discard the top of the shell. If you could not find prepared stock then you can prepare by combining some prepared fish stock and clam juice.
- Prepare the shrimp:
- For cleaning the shrimp, split the shrimp and remove the black vein. Lay the shrimp on its side and insert a sharp knife into its body from its large end, with the blade pointing outward from the back (away from the shrimp and your hand)
- Once you open the shrimp shells, then place a little cut on the shrimp body to find this black vein. If you no feel comfortable then you can use sharp kitchen scissors to cut the back of the shrimp. Then devein the shrimps. Using shell gives more flavor also shell-off is easier to ea.
- Make the soup base:
- Take an almost 8-quart covered deep bowl, add olive oil in it and add onion and bell pepper in it and saute until become soft, next add garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- So, now the time is to add all ingredients in the pot, add broth from the mollusks, fish or shellfish stock, red wine, tomato juice, herb bouquet, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring it to simmer then cook uncovered for more 20 minutes. Then time is to remove herb bouquet from it. Then, check the taste and correct seasoning.
- Add fish and shellfish:
- Add the fish, covered and cook until fish is cooked through almost for 2 to 3 minutes. So, add remaining ingredients; steamed mollusks, crabmeat, and shrimp. Then cook for further 2 to 3 minutes until shrimps are going to bright pink. Beware of overcooking.
- So, use a large bowl for serving this dish included shell, shell adds flavor. Use minced parsley for garnishing. You can serve with crusty French or Italian bread and robust red wine.
- So, you have to use plenty of napkins, a few extra bowls for shells, and nutcracker and fork for crab.
Per serving of cioppino provides you 380 calories along with 16g fat, 219mg cholesterol, 11g carbs, and 40g protein.
In light of the above discussion, it is noted that Cioppino is a soup which is consists of crabs, shrimps, and various shell and shellfish stock.