Jambalaya is a popular Louisiana-origin dish of Spanish. This dish basically consists of meat, vegetables, and rice. Meat may be cooked by smoke or roast in oil. In this recipe, the mixture of vegetables Is used like onion, garlic, celery, chilis, okra, green, yellow bell pepper. Jambalaya may have its origin in different rice-based dishes. In this recipe first of all roasted the chicken, then prepare the vege with chicken, at the end add rice into chicken stock and vegetables and cook until rice becomes soft.
The total time required for the preparation and cooking of chicken jambalaya is 40 to 50 minutes.
This recipe would yield 2-3 servings. You can increase or decrease no of servings by increasing or decreasing quantities of ingredients.
The list of required ingredients along with their measured values are given below;
- 2 boneless, chicken thighs
- 570ml hot chicken stock
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 4oz/110g chorizo sausage
- 1-2 tbs olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 sticks celery
- 1 green chili
- 1 yellow pepper
- 9 fl oz (175 ml) white basmati rice
- 1tbs roughly chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 spring onion, trimmed it and finely sliced
- 1 tsp tabasco sauce
Step by step instructions for the preparation and cooking of chicken jambalaya are given below:
- So, first of all, prepared ingredients cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Boil water adds tomatoes in it for 1 minute, then peeled and chopped. Then, peeled and cut chorizo sausage into ¾ inch pieces. Trimmed and sliced sticks celery into ½ inch pieces on the diagonal. Then, Deseeded and finely chopped green chilies and deseeded yellow pepper and cut into ½ inch slices.
- So, take a frying pan heat it on high heat and brown chorizo sausage in it and then remove it into the plate.
- Then add oil into the frying pan, and warm it, add chicken in it and cook until brown. Then transfer it with chorizo on a plate. Now frying onion for 2-3 minutes in this oil and then add chicken and chorizo and cook with garlic, celery, chili, and sliced pepper.
- Continue cooking for 4-5 minutes or until the celery and pepper softened, adding more oil if needed.
- Now add rice in it and stir well, then add Tabasco in hot chicken stock. Add the chopped tomatoes and bay leaf in a frying pan, then pour in the stock. Then, add salt and black pepper according to taste, mix the rice thoroughly in the liquid. Now covered the lid and low the heat and leave for simmering for 20 minutes.
- Check the rice if it is cooked then add stock more if needed. And then cook for further 5 minutes with the covering of lid.
- So, your chicken jambalaya is ready garnish with chopped parsley and spring onion and serve.
Per serving (about 2 cups) of chicken, jambalaya provides you 768 cal along with 36g fat which has 55% DV (including 9.3 g of saturated fat has 47% DV,0.2 g of trans fat, 5 g of polyunsaturated fat, 18 g of monounsaturated fat). 146 mg of cholesterol which is 49% of your daily need, 2524 mg of sodium has 105% DV and 831 mg of potassium has 24% DV. 73 g of total carbs have 24% DV (including 2 g Dietary fiber has 8% DV and 3.6 g of sugar) and 35 g of protein. 18% of Vit A of your daily need, 45% of Vit C of your daily need, 6.6 % of calcium of your daily need and 14 % of iron of your daily need.
In this article, I tried to present the best and easy cooking technique for chicken jambalaya. Jambalaya may have many origins in rice-based dishes because of rice uses in this dish. It also has origin in American cuisine. It is easiest recipe of chicken jambalaya. You have just cooked meat, cook different combo of vegetables which you like, and mix them with rice and then cook until rice will be ready for serving. Garnish with parsley and spring onion.