BLT sandwich is a dish that is one of the special types of sandwiches. It is named as BLT sandwich due to the initial use of its primary ingredients that includes bacon, tomato, and lettuce. Different types of ingredients can use in the BLT sandwich according to the person to person varying preferences. Some variations of the BLT sandwich is also based on the different method of cooking or ingredients use as using different types of lettuce, toasting or not and applying the mayonnaise.
The bacon type can also replace or varied such as the use of turkey bacon, the use of tofu in place of bacon, or removing the lettuce completely. BLT sandwich has been the descendant of the club sandwich from the past using many other products other than the BLT ingredients. It has been thought to be originated from the American States. In a perfect BLT sandwich, the bread slices are smeared with the mayonnaise on one side until golden brown and then the mayonnaise smeared side is topped with oven-cooked bacon which is further followed by the layer of the tomato slices with the seasoning of the salt and the butter lettuce. BLT sandwich can be considered as the greatest sandwich created ever. In this article, the discussion will be about the recipe of the BLT sandwich along with its nutritional value.
This recipe of the BLT sandwich would yield about 8 servings or 8 sandwiches. The servings can increase or decrease by the ingredients.
The total time required for this recipe of BLT sandwiches is 30 minutes including 15 minutes of preparation and 15 minutes of cooking.
- 2 pounds of the apple-wood smoked or cooked bacon
- 6 large beefsteaks or tomatoes, sliced into normal size slices
- Salt as per taste
- 2/3 cup of the flavored or simple mayonnaise, prepared
- 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice
- Zest of about 1 lemon
- 16 slices of the white bread
- 16 pieces of the butter-head lettuce
Directions for the procedure:
- First of all, preheat the oven up to 375. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with a foil and then place the layer of the bacon on the baking sheet and bake the bacon in the oven for about 8 to 10 minutes until the bacon – crispy.
- While the bacon is baking, season the tomato slices with the salt and place on the paper towel to dry.
- Take a small bowl and mix in it the lemon juice, zest, and mayonnaise in it. Now apply that mayonnaise on one side of the bread slices and sear that layered side of the bread on the skillet until crispy golden for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Prepare the sandwiches by applying the lemon mayonnaise on the untoasted side then make the layers of the cooked bacon followed by the tomatoes, bacon, and lettuce. Top the sandwiches with the slices and make the sandwiches.
- Cut the sandwiches into triangles or many smaller pieces and enjoy them.
The nutritional value of this recipe for the BLT sandwiches are such that per serving it provides you about:
447 kcal of energy along with 27 g of carbohydrates, 20 g of proteins and 28 g of fats. It also provides you with 7.5 g of saturated fat. 51 mg of cholesterol, 1.7 g of fiber, 6 % of Vitamin A. And 7 % of Vitamin C, 8 % of calcium and 13 % of iron.
So, in light of the above discussion BLT sandwich is a dish that is one of the special types of sandwiches. It is – BLT sandwich due to the initial use of its primary ingredients that includes bacon, tomato, and lettuce. It thought it originated from the American States. In a perfect BLT sandwich, the bread slices smear with the mayonnaise on one side until golden brown and then the mayonnaise smear side topped with oven-cooked bacon which further follows by the layer of the tomato slices with the seasoning of the salt and the butter lettuce. Once you try this article recipe of the BLT sandwich you would really appreciate and enjoy it.