BELGIAN CHEESE BOATS
They are a delicious finger food very suitable as an appetizer and of sure effect. I saw and tried them during the buffet served for the lunch break of a legal conference I attended. I was unable to get the recipe, so I reworked it from memory and on the basis of the flavors I had identified. I must say that I have not diverged much from the originals.
- 16 firm and crunchy Belgian endive leaves
- 150 gr fresh goat cheese
- 150 gr philadelphia
- 80 gr crescenza
- 40 gr gorgonzola
- 150 gr ricotta
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 – 2 tablespoons fresh cooking cream
- 50 – 60 gr speck in a single slice
- 50 – 60 gr smoked salmon
- 2 tablespoons of salmon pate
- 1 handful chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- First, separate the 16 Belgian leaves from the head, being careful not to break them. Wash and dry them well, but gently.
- Then prepare the various fillings using 4 separate bowls. First filling: chop the smoked salmon in a blender, pass it into the first bowl and add it to the ricotta, working it all with a wooden spoon.
- Incorporate also the salmon pate and mix everything well. The result must be a slightly pink mixture.
- Second filling: In another bowl, mix the crescenza with the gorgonzola and soften with a little liquid cream. If it is still a little consistent, use the mixer to mix it in the best possible way.
- Finally, add the chopped walnut kernels as thinly as possible.
- Third filling: in a third bowl put the Philadelphia or other cream cheese, the 2 tablespoons of chopped chives, the ground black pepper and mix well. If you use chives in powder, be careful that it could give the mixture a bitter taste (it happened to me), so sweeten with a teaspoon of sugar and a little fresh cream.
- Fourth filling: with a sharp knife remove some of the fat from the speck, then chop it in the mixer and add it in the last bowl to the goat cheese already worked with a wooden spoon and a drizzle of olive oil. Mix everything well.
- At this point, using the disposable pastry bags, put the four fillings in each of them. Then take the 16 Belgian leaves and fill them with the various fillings.
- Compose the 4 individual dishes by arranging in each of them 4 boats with the various fillings.